Monday, July 30, 2012

Dog days of Tucson summer training

So we're here smack-dab in the middle of another Tucson summer.  These are the days of getting up as early as possible (usually around 4-4:30a - depending if I want to take a couple sips of coffee before a workout) to get those long rides and runs in before it just gets too hot outside.  But, you're also playing chicken with the monsoon storms that roll in in the early-mid afternoon, so you can't delay your swim workout too long.  It makes for a rubberneck approach of looking out the window starting around lunchtime, looking to the south for signs of impending storms and judging when to head out to swim!


 
I haven't posted to my blog site for awhile, partly because I run out of time or energy or willingness to look at a computer screen for yet another nanosecond after a days' work and partly because I'm never sure what to write about that others would be interested in!  I downplay my training in the work environment, in fear that clients will think that I'm not serious enough to get the job done and then again I downplay my work in the racing scene so I can mentally prepare myself enough for the workout or race at hand.
Some days it's easy for me to live out both halves of my life and other days it's not so easy; it takes a great toll on me mentally and physically (friends, fiance, and now doctors and lab tests can attest to this).  So, I have avoided writing blogs for fear that I would be seen as constantly complaining about either not having enough time to train or not having enough work.  But, I have decided to change that.

Recently, I had a somewhat disastrous race at Rev 3 Portland.  My swim was remarkably bad (even for a non-swimmer), but my bike split was great!  I easily caught 10 girls on that hilly, technical bike course and was loving life at that point.  Came onto the run in 7th and got right into my rhythm - just planning to step it out until the finish line and if I could catch a few girls fading, even better.  But, the dreaded "bum-lock" began about 3 miles in and despite my efforts to run through it, it slowly worked it's way up the back and even to the jaw.  Reduced me to a walk and eventual DNF.  Again, those who know me best know that I do not DNF unless it is unavoidable, and this was.  The only other time I DNF'd was IM Canada a few years back and that was from hypothermia coming off the bike.  I am a fighter - and a runner - and can and will muscle my way through the last part of any race.  But not this one.  Disappointed as I was, I immediately brought myself around to look toward the next race, Rev 3 Wisconsin, coming up August 12.  I cannot say enough what a great race series this is!!  This will be another hilly bike course which I will love (thank you, Mt. Lemmon for being out my back door) and this time there will be no run mishaps, as I have figured out the cause of the "bum-lock" and I've gotten it fixed.  Therefore, it's GO TIME!  I'm excited to get to see an old college friend of mine in Milwaukee before the race and she will be at the race as well to cheer me on.  That will motivate me more than normal.

I guess the lesson I keep learning as I continue to train, race and run a business is to take each day as it comes.  I try to make every day perfect, to accomplish everything on my "to-do" list and to nail each workout, but that rarely happens.  But, as long as I'm doing what I can, when I can and especially making sure I RELAX a little here and there to chat with friends or to just veg out on the couch with a magazine or movie, I will be just fine.  I like to read through the MarcandAngel blog list of "28 Ways to Stop Complicating Your Life".  I have it printed out and hanging by my computer screen.  Today I'm looking at #16: Stop over-committing and trying to do too much at once.  Alrighty then, will do!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment