Thursday, August 2, 2012

How music helps

I always say triathlon training is a lonely man's venture.  It is really rare that the stars align and I get to train with a few friends or a group, but I'm always trying and I always enjoy when I get the chance to train with friends.  But, the majority of the time it is me, myself and I.  I rely quite a bit on music to keep me entertained (sometimes I'm sure I entertain others if they happen upon me and I'm singing a tune at the top of my lungs) and many times I use particular songs to keep me at a certain cadence either running or cycling.  I just discovered a Gavin Degraw song "Sweeter" that is perfect to hold about a 90 cadence while running - good 6min/mile pace when I need it!  And, you can't beat a good Johnny Cash playlist for motivation either.  My playlist is quite random, eclectic and "interesting", some may say.  I've got everything from Roy Orbison to Ministry on there and each has its special time when I need it most.

I've also started loading up French lessons onto my ipod so I can take advantage of those long, aerobic training running days to learn a new language.  So if you see me out there on the riverpath or trails one morning, I may give you a good "Bonjour!".

No comments:

Post a Comment