Thursday, February 28, 2013

What "to do"?

I know of people who are bored. I am not one of them, but there are those out there who are. Frankly, I don't understand it when there are so many great things out there to experience, attempt, witness, and even avoid. But yet, boredom persists.

Those who are bored say they can't  find something "to do". There is quite a difference between finding something "to do" and "doing" something. Doesn't sound like it, but look at this comparison of definitions:

"To-do":
Definition: commotion, excitement Synonyms: agitation, bother, bustle, clamor, disorder, disturbance, stir, tumult, turmoil, unrest, uproar, whirl

"Doing":
Definition: achievement
Synonyms: accomplishing, accomplishment, achieving, act, action, carrying, execution, exploit, handiwork, implementation, performance, performing

The difference is "doing" something implies some kind of meaning behind the act itself, while "to do" is merely an act to stay occupied (and sounds a bit chaotic)

Some people may say that I am too busy, I have too much on my plate. And yes, sometimes I get myself caught trying to accomplish too many things at once. But you can bet I'm not doing any of it to keep me from being bored. Each and every thing I do is because my heart is in it and I think it is something worth "doing". Now, if I could just find a few more hours in the day to get it all done. :)

Don't be bored! There are plenty of things worth DOING. Get out there and do them!

No comments:

Post a Comment